Aleutian Island Secrets and Electrical Ear Activity
Award-winning photographer, filmmaker, and environmentalist Ian Shive gives the inside scoop on a research expedition to the Aleutian Islands. Then, learn how researchers solved a molecular mystery about how our ears turn sound into what you hear.
Additional resources from Ian Shive:
- Watch “The Last Unknown” on discovery+ https://www.discoveryplus.com/show/the-last-unknown
- Start your 7-day free trial of discovery+ https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity
- “The Last Unknown” official trailer https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2847221158855153
- Ian Shive’s official website http://www.ianshive.com/
- Follow @ianshivephoto on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ianshivephoto/
- Follow @IanShivePhoto on Twitter https://twitter.com/IanShivePhoto
Scientists discovered the ear mechanism that turns sound into electrical activity — and protects our hearing by Grant Currin
- Hearing acrobatics. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/hms-ha020421.php
- Mulhall, E. M., Ward, A., Yang, D., Koussa, M. A., Corey, D. P., & Wong, W. P. (2021). Single-molecule force spectroscopy reveals the dynamic strength of the hair-cell tip-link connection. Nature communications, 12(1), 1-15. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21033-6
- NIHOD. (2018). Journey of Sound to the Brain [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQEaiZ2j9oc
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.