Can Smiling Actually Make You Happier? And Why a Clockmaker Figured Out Longitude
Learn whether smiling can actually make you feel happier and why it took John Harrison, a working-class clockmaker, to figure out longitude.
It Took a Working-Class Clockmaker to Figure Out Longitude by Ashley Hamer
- Dr Helen Klus. (2017, October 26). Latitude and Longitude. The Star Garden. http://www.thestargarden.co.uk/Longitude.html
- Longitude found – the story of Harrison’s Clocks. (2015, October 7). Royal Museums Greenwich. https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/longitude-found-john-harrison
- Roberts, A. (2014, May 17). A true sea shanty: the story behind the Longitude prize. The Guardian; The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/18/true-sea-shanty-story-behind-longitude-prize-john-harrison
Can smiling really make you happier? By Grant Currin
- O’Grady, C. (2019, September 5). Can Smiling Really Make You Happier? FiveThirtyEight; FiveThirtyEight. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-smiling-really-make-you-happier/
- Woodell, A. (2020). Leaning into the replication crisis: Why you should consider conducting replication research. Https://Www.APA.org. https://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/psn/2020/03/replication-crisis
- Strack, F., Martin, L. L., & Stepper, S. (1988). Inhibiting and facilitating conditions of the human smile: A nonobtrusive test of the facial feedback hypothesis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54(5), 768–777. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068
- Wagenmakers, E.-J., Beek, T., Dijkhoff, L., Gronau, Q. F., Acosta, A., Adams, R. B., Albohn, D. N., Allard, E. S., Benning, S. D., Blouin-Hudon, E.-M., Bulnes, L. C., Caldwell, T. L., Calin-Jageman, R. J., Capaldi, C. A., Carfagno, N. S., Chasten, K. T., Cleeremans, A., Connell, L., DeCicco, J. M., … Zwaan, R. A. (2016). Registered Replication Report. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 11(6), 917–928. https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691616674458
- Coles, N. A., March, D. S., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., Arinze, N. C., Ndukaihe, I. L. G., Özdoğru, A. A., … Liuzza, M. (2019, February 4). A Multi-Lab Test of the Facial Feedback Hypothesis by The Many Smiles Collaboration. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/cvpuw
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Natalia Reagan and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.