Dog Days of Summer, Magic Tricks for Birds, Planck Time
Learn the “Dog Days of Summer”; why scientists did magic tricks for birds; and the smallest conceivable length of time.
What are the “Dog Days of Summer”? by Steffie Drucker
- Farmers’ Almanac Staff. (2015, June 29). What Are the Dog Days of Summer? Farmers’ Almanac. https://www.farmersalmanac.com/why-are-they-called-dog-days-of-summer-21705
- Little, B. (2015, July 10). Why Do We Call Them the “Dog Days” of Summer? Animals; National Geographic. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/150710-dog-days-summer-sirius-star-astronomy-weather-language?loggedin=true
- AstroPages | Precession. (2021). wwu.edu. https://www.wwu.edu/astro101/a101_precession.shtml
Scientists did magic tricks for birds to see how they perceive the world by Steffie Drucker
- Garcia-Pelegrin, E. (2021, June 2). We performed magic tricks on birds to see how they perceive the world. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/we-performed-magic-tricks-on-birds-to-see-how-they-perceive-the-world-161772
- Garcia-Pelegrin, E., Schnell, A. K., Wilkins, C., & Clayton, N. S. (2021). Exploring the perceptual inabilities of Eurasian jays (Garrulus glandarius) using magic effects. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(24), e2026106118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2026106118
- Magic Tricks May Fool You, but These Birds Can See Through Them. (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/science/birds-magic-tricks.html
- Timmer, J. (2021, June 4). Researchers perform magic tricks for birds, who are not amused. Ars Technica; Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/researchers-perform-magic-tricks-for-birds-who-are-not-amused/
- Olkowicz, S., Kocourek, M., Lučan, R. K., Porteš, M., Fitch, W. T., Herculano-Houzel, S., & Němec, P. (2016). Birds have primate-like numbers of neurons in the forebrain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(26), 7255–7260. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1517131113
- Starr, M. (2018). Crows Can Build Compound Tools Out of Multiple Parts, And Are You Even Surprised. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/crows-are-so-smart-they-can-make-compound-tools-out-of-multiple-parts
Planck Time Is How Long It Takes Light To Travel One Planck Length by Joanie Faletto
- The Planck scale: relativity meets quantum mechanics meets gravity. (from Einstein Light). (2021). Unsw.edu.au. https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module6_Planck.htm
- Williams, M. (2010, November 19). What is Planck Time? – Universe Today. Universe Today. https://www.universetoday.com/79418/planck-time/#ixzz2OhJ0gDig
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.