Future GMO Foods, The Thought Gap, How Your Brain Knows You’re Uncomfortable
Learn about why researchers are developing new GMO foods like golden rice; why you underestimate how often others are thinking about you; and how your brain knows when you’re uncomfortable and you need to change your position.
FDA’s Feed Your Mind website: https://www.fda.gov/food/consumers/agricultural-biotechnology
You regularly underestimate how often someone else is thinking about you by Steffie Drucker
- Liking gap episode: https://www.curiositydaily.com/road-to-the-8-hour-workday-the-liking-gap-shocking-tomatoes/
- Actually, Everyone Is Thinking About You. (2021, September 16). Vice.com. https://www.vice.com/en/article/epx43m/actually-everyone-is-thinking-about-you
- Cooney, G., Boothby, E. J., & Lee, M. (2021). The thought gap after conversation: Underestimating the frequency of others’ thoughts about us. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/xge0001134
- Cuncic, A. (2012). Spotlight Effect: Not Everyone is Looking at You. Verywell Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-spotlight-effect-3024470
How the brain tells us to change position by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Constanza in Mexico City)
- Why do we roll over when we’re asleep. (2014). Why do we roll over when we’re asleep? › Ask an Expert (ABC Science). Abc.net.au. https://doi.org/https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/01/28/3861788.htm
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Pain, Disability, and Chronic Illness Behavior, Osterweis, M., Kleinman, A., & Mechanic, D. (2015). The Anatomy and Physiology of Pain. Nih.gov; National Academies Press (US). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK219252/
- Bedsores. (2021). Hopkinsmedicine.org. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/bedsores
- Resnick, B. (2016, June 6). Ever wake up to a numb, dead arm? Here’s what’s happening. Vox. https://www.vox.com/2016/6/6/11854588/numb-arm-sleep
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.