Go Ahead, Google Your Symptoms
Learn about the benefits of Googling symptoms; truly random number generation; and why science is about storytelling.
Googling symptoms makes patients better at self-diagnosis by Steffie Drucker
- A visit to “Dr. Google” makes patients better at diagnosis. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-03/bawh-avt032621.php
- Levine, D. M., & Mehrotra, A. (2021). Assessment of Diagnosis and Triage in Validated Case Vignettes Among Nonphysicians Before and After Internet Search. JAMA Network Open, 4(3), e213287. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.3287
- Why this doctor wants you to consult with “Dr. Google” to help diagnose your symptoms. (2021, April). CBC. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.5969736/why-this-doctor-wants-you-to-consult-with-dr-google-to-help-diagnose-your-symptoms-1.5971609
Why Computers Can Never Generate Truly Random Numbers by Ashley Hamer
- Mads Haahr. (n.d.). Introduction to Randomness and Random Numbers. Random.org. https://www.random.org/randomness/
- DeMichele, T. (2015, November 21). Computers Can Generate True Random Numbers – Fact or Myth? Fact / Myth. http://factmyth.com/factoids/computers-can-generate-true-random-numbers/
Additional resources from Chanda Prescod-Weinstein:
- Pick up “The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, & Dreams Deferred” on Amazon: https://amzn.to/32JjzDu
- Website: http://www.cprescodweinstein.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.