Has the Earth Lost Weight?
Learn about a new computer model that may have gotten us closer to figuring out how we choose our mates; why Meno’s paradox says you can’t ever learn anything new; and whether the Earth weighs the same as it did billions of years ago.
How do we choose our mates? A new computer model may have gotten us closer to the answer by Cameron Duke
- Computer love. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/uoc–cl021221.php
- Conroy-Beam, D. (2021). Couple Simulation: A Novel Approach for Evaluating Models of Human Mate Choice. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 108886832097125. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868320971258
Meno’s Paradox Says You Can’t Ever Learn Anything New by Reuben Westmaas
- S. Marc Cohen (2006). Meno’s Paradox. Washington.edu. https://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/menopar.htm
- False equivalence and false balance – logical fallacies. (2017, December 17). Skeptical Raptor. https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/logical-fallacies/false-equivalence-logical-fallacies/
LISTENER Q: Does the Earth weigh the same as it did billions of years ago? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Rob in Cedar Falls)
- Is Earth Getting Bigger Over Time? (Published 2019). (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/science/earth-size-mass.html
- McDonald, C. (2012, January 31). Who, What, Why: Is the Earth getting lighter? BBC News; BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16787636
- Is Earth getting heavier or lighter? (2018, August 31). CBC. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sept-1-2018-gene-editing-in-dogs-wildfire-prediction-zika-fizzles-and-more-1.4804892/is-earth-getting-heavier-or-lighter-1.4804900
Follow Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free! You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.