How Cancer Evolves in the Body (w/ Dr. Kat Arney)
Learn about the impressive memories of goldfish. Plus, hear from Dr. Kat Arney about why an evolutionary perspective may be the key to fighting cancer.
Please nominate Curiosity Daily for Best Technology & Science Podcast in the 2020 Discover Pods Awards! It’s free and only takes a minute. Thanks so much! https://awards.discoverpods.com/nominate/
Goldfish Have Great Memories, Thank You Very Much by Anna Todd
- Brown, C. (2001). Familiarity with the test environment improves escape responses in the crimson spotted rainbowfish, Melanotaenia duboulayi. Animal Cognition, 4(2), 109–113. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100710100105
- Gee, P., Stephenson, D., & Wright, D. E. (1994). TEMPORAL DISCRIMINATION LEARNING OF OPERANT FEEDING IN GOLDFISH (CARASSIUS AURATUS). Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 62(1), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1901/jeab.1994.62-1
- Yap, S. (2011). Unbelievable Goldfish Plays Fetch [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kuXdYx87s4
Additional resources from Dr. Kat Arney:
- Pick up “Rebel Cell: Cancer, Evolution, and the New Science of Life’s Oldest Betrayal” on Amazon: https://amzn.to/32zrPqg
- Rebel Cell’s website: https://www.rebelcellbook.com/
- Kat Arney’s website: https://katarney.com/
- Kat Arney’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kat_Arney
- Genetics Unzipped podcast: https://geneticsunzipped.com/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.