How “Flow” Can Help in Quarantine
Learn about how experiencing “flow” could help your mental health during quarantine; why airplane windows are round; and whether flies experience time more slowly than we do.
Experiencing flow could buffer the mental-health effects of quarantine by Kelsey Donk
- The mental state of flow might protect against harmful effects of quarantine. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/p-tms111020.php
- Sweeny, Kate, et al. “Flow in the Time of COVID-19: Findings from China.” (2020). https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0242043
- What is Flow in Psychology? Definition and 10+ Activities to Induce Flow. (2019, January 8). PositivePsychology.com. https://positivepsychology.com/what-is-flow/
This Is the Important Reason All Airplane Windows Are Round by Joanie Faletto
- Lamb, R. (2011, May 26). How Airplanes Work. HowStuffWorks. https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/airplanes.htm
- Rizzo, C. (2016, January 20). Why do airplanes have round windows? Mashable. https://mashable.com/2016/01/20/round-airplane-windows/#pgu6eCzQcqq3
Do flies experience time more slowly than we do? by Cameron Duke
- Balestra, C., Machado, M.-L., Theunissen, S., Balestra, A., Cialoni, D., Clot, C., Besnard, S., Kammacher, L., Delzenne, J., Germonpré, P., & Lafère, P. (2018). Critical Flicker Fusion Frequency: A Marker of Cerebral Arousal During Modified Gravitational Conditions Related to Parabolic Flights. Frontiers in Physiology, 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.01403
- Boström, J. E., Dimitrova, M., Canton, C., Håstad, O., Qvarnström, A., & Ödeen, A. (2016). Ultra-Rapid Vision in Birds. PLOS ONE, 11(3), e0151099. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0151099
- R Christopher Miall. (2008, March 13). The flicker fusion frequencies of six laboratory insects, and the response of the compound eye to mains… ResearchGate; Wiley. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229600414_The_flicker_fusion_frequencies_of_six_laboratory_insects_and_the_response_of_the_compound_eye_to_mains_fluorescent_%27ripple%27
- Flicker fusion frequency in birds of prey (Episode from January 22, 2020): https://www.curiositydaily.com/live-longer-by-appreciating-art-betelgeuse-might-go-supernova-and-birds-freaky-fast-vision/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.