How Scientists Teleported Fish Behavior
Learn about why cancer is stranger than we think and how scientists have “teleported” the behavior of real fish into robot fish.
Please nominate Curiosity Daily for Best Technology & Science Podcast in the 2020 Discover Pods Awards! It’s free and only takes a minute. Thanks so much! https://awards.discoverpods.com/nominate/
Scientists “teleported” the real-time behavior of a real fish onto a robot fish by Grant Currin
- Zebrafish Help Unlock Clues to Human Disease. (2018). Hopkinsmedicine.Org. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/research/advancements-in-research/fundamentals/in-depth/zebrafish-help-unlock-clues-to-human-disease
- Zebrafish Behavior: Opportunities and Challenges. (2019). Annual Reviews. https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-neuro-071714-033857
- Beam me up: Researchers use “behavioral teleporting” to study social interactions. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-08/ntso-bmu082420.php
- Karakaya, M., Macrì, S., & Porfiri, M. (2020). Behavioral Teleporting of Individual Ethograms onto Inanimate Robots: Experiments on Social Interactions in Live Zebrafish. IScience, 23(8), 101418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2020.101418
Additional resources from Kat Arney:
- Pick up “Rebel Cell: Cancer, Evolution, and the New Science of Life’s Oldest Betrayal” on Amazon: https://amzn.to/32zrPqg
- Rebel Cell’s website: https://www.rebelcellbook.com/
- Kat Arney’s website: https://katarney.com/
- Kat Arney’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kat_Arney
- Genetics Unzipped podcast: https://geneticsunzipped.com/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.