Is Exercise for Work as Good as Exercise for Play?
Learn about dog jealousy; physical activity at work vs. at play; and why only certain parts of us get pruney when wet.
Dogs act jealous of their owner’s attention to other dogs even when they can’t see the dog by Steffie Drucker
- Dogs act jealously even when they don’t see their rival. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/afps-daj040821.php
- Bastos, A. P. M., Neilands, P. D., Hassall, R. S., Lim, B. C., & Taylor, A. H. (2021). Dogs Mentally Represent Jealousy-Inducing Social Interactions. Psychological Science, 095679762097914. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797620979149
- Coren, S. (2017, January 19). Do Dogs Feel Jealousy or Envy? American Kennel Club; American Kennel Club. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/do-dogs-feel-jealousy-or-envy/
Physical activity for leisure is good for your health, but physical activity on the job is not by Kelsey Donk
- Leisure physical activity is linked with health benefits but work activity is not. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/esoc-lpa040721.php
- Holtermann, A., Schnohr, P., Nordestgaard, B. G., & Marott, J. L. (2021). The physical activity paradox in cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality: the contemporary Copenhagen General Population Study with 104 046 adults. European Heart Journal, 42(15), 1499–1511. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehab087
Why do our fingers get pruney in water but not our mouths? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Ethan in Ithaca)
- Summers, B. (2013). Science gets a grip on wrinkly fingers. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature.2013.12175
- Yong, E. (2011). Pruney fingers grip better. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/news.2011.388
- Water-induced finger wrinkles improve handling of wet objects | Biology Letters. (2013). Biology Letters. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsbl.2012.0999
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.