Is That Real Money or Fun Money? The Trap of Mental Accounting
Learn about how to avoid the too-familiar trap of mental accounting, the story of when a glitchy instrument led to evidence for the Big Bang, and the real science behind how to make cut flowers last longer.
Is That Real Money Or Fun Money? The Familiar Trap Of Mental Accounting by Ashley Hamer
- Thaler, R. H. (1999). Mental accounting matters. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 12(3), 183–206. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0771(199909)12:3%3C183::AID-BDM318%3E3.0.CO;2-F
- Choices, Values, and Frames | Handbook of the Fundamentals of Financial Decision Making. (2020). Worldscientific.Com. https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/9789814417358_0016
- Lehrer, J. (2011, February 14). The Curse of Mental Accounting. Wired; WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2011/02/the-curse-of-mental-accounting/
- Mental Accounting Definition. (2020). Investopedia. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mentalaccounting.asp
That time a glitchy instrument led to evidence for the Big Bang by Cameron Duke
- A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: Penzias and Wilson discover cosmic microwave radiation. (2020). Pbs.Org. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/dp65co.html
- Holmdel Horn Antenna. (2020). @apsphysics.
- Wall, M. (2014, May 20). Cosmic Anniversary: “Big Bang Echo” Discovered 50 Years Ago Today. Space.Com; Space. https://www.space.com/25945-cosmic-microwave-background-discovery-50th-anniversary.html
How to make cut flowers last longer by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Lisa)
- What’s In Your Flowers’ Food? | Bouqs Blog. (2018, July 17). The Bouqs Co. Blog. https://bouqs.com/blog/whats-in-your-flowers-food/
- S.E. Gould. (2013, January 20). Making sugar from carbon dioxide: The Calvin Cycle. Scientific American Blog Network. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/lab-rat/making-sugar-from-carbon-dioxide-the-calvin-cycle/
- The Science of Keeping Flowers Fresh | Experiments | Steve Spangler Science. (2019). The Lab. https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/science-keeping-flowers-fresh/
- Curtin, C. (2007, February 14). Fact or Fiction?: Vodka and Citrus Sodas Keep Cut Flowers Fresh. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-vodka-citrus-sodas-keep-flowers-fresh/
- Nell, T.A., Reid, M.S. (2004, January) Special Research Report #410: Postproduction – The Three C’s of Success with Fresh Cut Flowers (2) – “Cleanliness”. The American Floral Endowment. https://endowment.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/410postprod.pdf
- Nell, T.A. (2004, June) De-myth-tifying Cut Flower Care. Florists Review. P. 51-54. https://web.archive.org/web/20040618065419if_/http://www.floristsreview.com/main/june/featurestory.html
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.