“Mini Brains” That Grew Eyes and How the FDA Saved Babies
Learn about stem cell “mini brains” that grew eyes and how the FDA prevented an epidemic of birth defects in the 1960s.
Scientists grew stem cell ‘mini brains’ that developed mini-eyes on their own by Cameron Duke
- Gabriel, E., Albanna, W., Pasquini, G., Ramani, A., Josipovic, N., Mariappan, A., Schinzel, F., Karch, C. M., Bao, G., Gottardo, M., Suren, A. A., Hescheler, J., Nagel-Wolfrum, K., Persico, V., Rizzoli, S. O., Altmüller, J., Riparbelli, M. G., Callaini, G., Goureau, O., & Papantonis, A. (2021). Human brain organoids assemble functionally integrated bilateral optic vesicles. Cell Stem Cell. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2021.07.010
- Starr, M. (2021). Scientists Grew Stem Cell “Mini Brains”. Then, The Brains Sort-of Developed Eyes. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-used-stem-cells-to-make-mini-brains-they-grew-rudimentary-eyes
The FDA never approved thalidomide, and that saved American babies by Briana Brownell
- James, A. J. (2021, August 17). How a “stubborn” Canadian saved thousands of American babies from birth defects. Nationalpost; National Post. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-a-stubborn-canadian-saved-thousands-of-american-babies-from-birth-defects
- Phillips, S. (2020, March 9). How a courageous physician-scientist saved the U.S. from a birth-defects catastrophe. Uchicagomedicine.org; UChicago Medicine. https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/biological-sciences-articles/courageous-physician-scientist-saved-the-us-from-a-birth-defects-catastrophe
- Office of the Commissioner. (2019). Frances O. Kelsey. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/fda-history-exhibits/frances-oldham-kelsey-medical-reviewer-famous-averting-public-health-tragedy
- McNeill, L. (2017, May 8). The Woman Who Stood Between America and a Generation of “Thalidomide Babies.” Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/woman-who-stood-between-america-and-epidemic-birth-defects-180963165/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.