Most Conversations Go On Longer Than We Want Them To
Learn about why most conversations go on for a lot longer than we want them to; a genetic mutation that makes some people resilient to the cold; and how homing pigeons pass down their knowledge.
Most conversations go on for twice as long as we want them to by Kelsey Donk
- When people want conversations to end. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-03/potn-wpw022421.php
- Mastroianni, A. M., Gilbert, D. T., Cooney, G., & Wilson, T. D. (2021). Do conversations end when people want them to? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(10), e2011809118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2011809118
Around 20% of people have a genetic mutation that makes them resilient to the cold by Grant Currin
- People with this muscle protein gene variant tolerate the cold better. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/cp-pwt021121.php
- Wyckelsma, V. L., Venckunas, T., Houweling, P. J., Schlittler, M., Lauschke, V. M., Tiong, C. F., Wood, H. D., Ivarsson, N., Paulauskas, H., Eimantas, N., Andersson, D. C., North, K. N., Brazaitis, M., & Westerblad, H. (2021). Loss of α-actinin-3 during human evolution provides superior cold resilience and muscle heat generation. The American Journal of Human Genetics, 108(3), 446–457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2021.01.013
- Impervious to cold? A gene helps people to ward off the chills. (2021). Nature, 590(7847), 531–531. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-00433-0
Move Over, Ancient Sages: Homing Pigeons Pass Down Knowledge Too by Hayley Otman
- Sasaki, T., & Biro, D. (2017). Cumulative culture can emerge from collective intelligence in animal groups. Nature Communications, 8(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms15049
- Homing pigeons share our ability to build knowledge across generations | University of Oxford. (2017, April 17). Ox.ac.uk. https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-04-18-homing-pigeons-share-our-ability-build-knowledge-across-generations#
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.