Road to the 8-Hour Workday, the Liking Gap, Shocking Tomatoes
Learn about how guaranteed 8-hour work days came to the US; the liking gap; and the shocking defense systems of tomato plants.
It took more than 70 years to guarantee 8-hour work days in the US by Steffie Drucker
- Lee, S. (2019, February 26). 40-hour work week: The history and evolution | Culture Amp. Culture Amp. https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/40-hour-work-week-the-history-and-evolution
- Ward, M., & Lebowitz, S. (2020, June 12). A history of how the 40-hour workweek became the norm in America. Business Insider; Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-the-40-hour-workweek-2015-10
- Hendricks, S. (2021, July 20). Thanks to Iceland, the four-day workweek is coming. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/politics-current-affairs/four-day-week-
- Going Public: Iceland’s Journey to a Shorter Working Week. (2021). Autonomy. https://autonomy.work/portfolio/icelandsww/
- 80 Days That Changed the World – TIME. (2003, March 31). TIME.com. https://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1977881_1977883_1977922,00.html
- Ward, M. (2017, May 3). A brief history of the 8-hour workday, which changed how Americans work. CNBC; CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/03/how-the-8-hour-workday-changed-how-americans-work.html
- History of Labor Day | U.S. Department of Labor. (2021). Dol.gov. https://www.dol.gov/general/laborday/history
- The Haymarket Affair — Illinois Labor History Society. (2014). Illinois Labor History Society. Illinois Labor History Society. http://www.illinoislaborhistory.org/the-haymarket-affair
People like us more than we think, and this bias starts as young as 5 by Cameron Duke
- Kids As Young As Five Underestimate How Much Their Peers Like Them. (2021, July 7). Research Digest. https://digest.bps.org.uk/2021/07/07/kids-as-young-as-five-underestimate-how-much-their-peers-like-them/
- Wolf, W., Nafe, A., & Tomasello, M. (2021). The Development of the Liking Gap: Children Older Than 5 Years Think That Partners Evaluate Them Less Positively Than They Evaluate Their Partners. Psychological Science, 32(5), 789–798. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797620980754
When under attack, tomatoes sound the alarm with a jolt by Cameron Duke
- Devis, D. (2021, July 29). Seeing red – do tomatoes feel pain? Cosmos Magazine. https://cosmosmagazine.com/nature/plants/tomatoes-send-electric-warning-when-attacked-by-caterpillars/
- Reissig, G. N., Oliveira, T. F. de C., Oliveira, R. P. de, Posso, D. A., Parise, A. G., Nava, D. E., & Souza, G. M. (2021). Fruit Herbivory Alters Plant Electrome: Evidence for Fruit-Shoot Long-Distance Electrical Signaling in Tomato Plants. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 5. https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2021.657401
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.