School Should Start Later, Daydreaming Perks, Hycean Planets
Learn about why high school starts too early; why daydreaming might be a good sign; and finding life on Hycean planets.
High school starts too early in all but 3 US states — but things are changing by Steffie Drucker
- Roy, S. (2014, August 26). AAP Recommends Delaying School Start Times to Combat Teen Sleep… Sleep Review. https://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep-health/demographics/age/aap-recommends-delaying-school-start-times-combat-teen-sleep-deprivation/
- CDC. (2020, May 29). Schools Start Too Early. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/schools-start-too-early.html
- National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS). (2017). Ed.gov; National Center for Education Statistics. https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/ntps/tables/ntps1718_table_05_s1s.asp
- Jacobs, F. (2021, August 27). Here’s how early school begins – and why it is bad for students. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/heres-how-early-school-begins-and-why-it-is-bad-for-students
- Sleep for Teenagers | Sleep Foundation. (2009, April 17). Sleep Foundation. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/teens-and-sleep
Daydreaming Might Be a Sign of an Efficient Brain by Reuben Westmaas
- Daydreaming is Good. It Means You’re Smart | News Center. (2017). Gatech.edu. https://www.news.gatech.edu/news/2017/10/24/daydreaming-good-it-means-youre-smart
- Godwin, C. A., Hunter, M. A., Bezdek, M. A., Lieberman, G., Elkin-Frankston, S., Romero, V. L., Witkiewitz, K., Clark, V. P., & Schumacher, E. H. (2017). Functional connectivity within and between intrinsic brain networks correlates with trait mind wandering. Neuropsychologia, 103, 140–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2017.07.006
- A wandering mind reveals mental processes and priorities. (2012). Wisc.edu. https://news.wisc.edu/a-wandering-mind-reveals-mental-processes-and-priorities/
- Levinson, D. B., Smallwood, J., & Davidson, R. J. (2012). The Persistence of Thought. Psychological Science, 23(4), 375–380. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797611431465
Forget Earth-like planets — it’s time to look for alien life on Hycean planets by Briana Brownell
- New class of habitable exoplanets are “a big step forward” in the search for life. (2021, August 26). University of Cambridge. https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/new-class-of-habitable-exoplanets-are-a-big-step-forward-in-the-search-for-life
- Madhusudhan, N., Piette, A. A. A., & Constantinou, S. (2021). Habitability and Biosignatures of Hycean Worlds. The Astrophysical Journal, 918(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/abfd9c
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.