This Language Shift Could Signal an Impending Breakup
Learn about a change in language use that could mean a breakup is on the way; why ogre-faced spiders are basically ninja assassins, with help from Cornell University professor Ron Hoy; and how it’s possible to exercise too much.
A change in pronoun use could signal an impending breakup by Kelsey Donk
- Use of pronouns may show signs of an impending breakup. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/uota-uop012721.php
- Seraj, S., Blackburn, K. G., & Pennebaker, J. W. (2021). Language left behind on social media exposes the emotional and cognitive costs of a romantic breakup. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(7), e2017154118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2017154118
Additional resources from Ron Hoy:
- Ron Hoy’s faculty page at Cornell University: https://nbb.cornell.edu/ronald-r-hoy
- Hoy’s 2016 study on hearing in jumping spiders: https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/10/jumping-spiders-can-hear-distance-new-study-proves
Yes, You Really Can Exercise Too Much by Ashley Hamer
- Rhabdomyolysis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. (2019). Medlineplus.gov. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000473.htm
- Cutler, T. S., DeFilippis, E. M., Unterbrink, M. E., & Evans, A. T. (2016). Increasing Incidence and Unique Clinical Characteristics of Spinning-Induced Rhabdomyolysis. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, 26(5), 429–431. https://doi.org/10.1097/jsm.0000000000000281
- As Workouts Intensify, a Harmful Side Effect Grows More Common (Published 2017). (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/well/move/as-workouts-intensify-a-harmful-side-effect-grows-more-common.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fwell
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.