‘Wanting’ and ‘Liking’ Are Different to Your Brain
Learn about why just because you want something doesn’t mean you like it; why Esperanto is the world’s most successful universal language; and a gene therapy injection in one eye that improved vision in both.
Just because you want something doesn’t mean you like it — and that has implications for addiction by Kelsey Donk
- Edmonds, D. (2020, December 12). The science of addiction: Do you always like the things you want? BBC News.. https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-55221825
- Berridge, K. C., & Robinson, T. E. (2016). Liking, wanting, and the incentive-sensitization theory of addiction. American Psychologist, 71(8), 670–679. https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000059
Esperanto Is the World’s Universal Language by Reuben Westmaas
- Some Basic Information about Esperanto — the International Language. (2021). Esperanto.org. http://esperanto.org/us/USEJ/world/index.html
- Berlin, R. L. G. (2013, September 26). Johnson: Simple, logical and doomed. The Economist; The Economist. https://www.economist.com/prospero/2013/09/26/johnson-simple-logical-and-doomed
- L.L. Zamenhof | Polish linguist and physician | Britannica. (2021). In Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/biography/L-L-Zamenhof
Gene therapy injection in one eye surprises scientists by improving vision in both by Cameron Duke
- Almeroth-Williams, T. (2020, December 10). Gene therapy injection in one eye surprises scientists by improving vision in both. University of Cambridge. https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/gene-therapy-injection-in-one-eye-surprises-scientists-by-improving-vision-in-both
- Yu-Wai-Man, P., Newman, N. J., Carelli, V., Moster, M. L., Biousse, V., Sadun, A. A., Klopstock, T., Vignal-Clermont, C., Sergott, R. C., Rudolph, G., Morgia, C. L., Karanjia, R., Taiel, M., Blouin, L., Burguière, P., Smits, G., Chevalier, C., Masonson, H., Salermo, Y., … Sahel, J.-A. (2020). Bilateral visual improvement with unilateral gene therapy injection for Leber hereditary optic neuropathy. Science Translational Medicine, 12(573). https://doi.org/10.1126/scitranslmed.aaz7423
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.