We Still Don’t Know How Ice Skating Works
Learn about how social connection may be as basic of a human need as hunger; the ongoing scientific debate around how ice skating actually works; and the Uberman sleep cycle, a polyphasic sleep schedule that was allegedly used by Leonardo da Vinci and Nikola Tesla.
Social connection may be a “basic human need” like hunger by Kelsey Donk
- Pattillo, A. (2020, November 23). Loneliness and hunger light up brain activity in similar ways. Inverse; Inverse. https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/brain-study-social-connection-basic-human-need
- Tomova, L., Wang, K. L., Thompson, T., Matthews, G. A., Takahashi, A., Tye, K. M., & Saxe, R. (2020). Acute social isolation evokes midbrain craving responses similar to hunger. Nature Neuroscience, 23(12), 1597–1605. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-020-00742-z
There Is Still Hot Debate Around How Ice Skating Actually Works by Joanie Faletto
- 15 Surprising Facts About Figure Skating. (2016, November 15). Mentalfloss.com. https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/88660/15-surprising-facts-about-figure-skating
- Ice cube experiment. (2014). Ice cube experiment. Abc.net.au. https://doi.org/http://abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/08/20/4067852.htm
- Gilead Amit. (2020). Why is ice slippery? New Scientist. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22730371-000-why-is-ice-slippery/
- staff, S. X. (2015, December 8). New theory describes ice’s slippery behavior. Phys.org; Phys.org. https://phys.org/news/2015-12-theory-ice-slippery-behavior.html
- Persson, B. N. J. (2015). Ice friction: Role of non-uniform frictional heating and ice premelting. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 143(22), 224701. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4936299
Leonardo da Vinci and Nikola Tesla Allegedly Followed the Uberman Sleep Cycle originally aired August 9, 2018: https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/antimatter-101-w-everyday-einstein-how-to-avoid-be
- Pick up Tim Ferriss’ “The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman” on Amazon: https://amzn.to/395RWHt
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.