What Getting Chills from Music Says About Your Brain
Learn about a surprising benefit of adding humor to the news; what getting chills from music says about your brain; and how Volta’s electric eels that hunt in packs.
Young adults are more likely to remember and share news delivered with humor by Kelsey Donk
- New Study Finds that Delivering the News with Humor Makes Young Adults More Likely to Remember and Share | Annenberg School for Communication. (2021). Upenn.edu. https://www.asc.upenn.edu/news-events/news/new-study-finds-delivering-news-humor-makes-young-adults-more-likely-remember-and
- Coronel, J. C., O’Donnell, M. B., Pandey, P., Delli Carpini, M. X., & Falk, E. B. (2020). Political Humor, Sharing, and Remembering: Insights from Neuroimaging. Journal of Communication. https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqaa041
What Getting Chills from Music Says About Your Brain by Reuben Westmaas
- Sachs, M. E., Ellis, R. J., Schlaug, G., & Loui, P. (2016). Brain connectivity reflects human aesthetic responses to music. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 11(6), 884–891. https://doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsw009
- Colver, M. (2016, May 25). If You Get Chills While Listening to Music, You Might Be a More Open and Emotional Person. Slate Magazine; Slate. https://slate.com/technology/2016/05/getting-chills-when-listening-to-music-might-mean-youre-a-more-emotional-person.html
- McCrae, R. R. (2007). Aesthetic Chills as a Universal Marker of Openness to Experience. Motivation and Emotion, 31(1), 5–11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-007-9053-1
Electric eels hunt in packs, and scientists are shocked by Steffie Drucker
- Roth, A. (2021). Electric Eels Hunt in Packs, Shocking Prey and Scientists. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/science/electric-eels-hunting-pack.html
- Moutinho, S. (2021, January 14). Shocking discovery: Electric eels hunt in packs in Amazon rivers. Science | AAAS. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/shocking-discovery-electric-eels-hunt-packs-amazon-rivers
- Bastos, D. A., Zuanon, J., Rapp Py‐Daniel, L., & Santana, C. D. (2021). Social predation in electric eels. Ecology and Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.7121
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.