What’s the Shortest Amount of Time Ever Recorded?
Learn about how scientists just measured the quickest event ever recorded; how tiny remoras (suckerfish) stay stuck to fast-moving whales; and why being too busy could be killing your creativity.
Scientists have just measured the shortest amount of time, ever. by Cameron Duke
- Grundmann, S., Trabert, D., Fehre, K., Strenger, N., Pier, A., Kaiser, L., Kircher, M., Weller, M., Eckart, S., Schmidt, L. P. H., Trinter, F., Jahnke, T., Schöffler, M. S., & Dörner, R. (2020). Zeptosecond birth time delay in molecular photoionization. Science, 370(6514), 339–341. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abb9318
- Mann, A. (2020, July 13). The universe’s clock might have bigger ticks than we imagine. Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/what-are-smallest-ticks-of-time.html
- Pappas, S. (2020, October 17). Meet the zeptosecond, the shortest unit of time ever measured. Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/zeptosecond-shortest-time-unit-measured.html
How do little remoras stay stuck to fast-moving whales? Physics! by Steffie Drucker
- Whale-surfing remoras ride cushion of water to stay in touch with their steeds. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-10/tcob-wrr102220.php
- Remora | fish | Britannica. (2020). In Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/animal/remora
- Boundary Layer Separation and Pressure Drag – Aerospace Engineering Blog. (2016, October 15). Aerospace Engineering Blog. https://aerospaceengineeringblog.com/boundary-layer-separation-and-pressure-drag/
- r/explainlikeimfive – ELI5: How do bugs manage to stay stuck to car windows whilst travelling at high speed? Are the suckers super strong? (2011). Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/579sqf/eli5_how_do_bugs_manage_to_stay_stuck_to_car/
- Flammang, B. E., Marras, S., Anderson, E. J., Lehmkuhl, O., Mukherjee, A., Cade, D. E., Beckert, M., Nadler, J. H., Houzeaux, G., Vázquez, M., Amplo, H. E., Calambokidis, J., Friedlaender, A. S., Goldbogen, J. A. (2020). Remoras pick where they stick on blue whales. J, Exp. Biol. 223, jeb226654. https://jeb.biologists.org/content/223/20/jeb226654
Being Too Busy May Be Killing Your Creativity by Anna Todd
- A Genius Finds Inspiration in the Music of Another (Published 2006). (2020). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/science/a-genius-finds-inspiration-in-the-music-of-another.html
- The Science of Mind Wandering: Empirically Navigating the Stream of Consciousness. (2019). Annual Reviews. https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-psych-010814-015331
- Baird, B., Smallwood, J., Mrazek, M. D., Kam, J. W. Y., Franklin, M. S., & Schooler, J. W. (2012). Inspired by Distraction. Psychological Science, 23(10), 1117–1122. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797612446024
- Lee, C. S., Therriault, D. J., & Linderholm, T. (2012). On the Cognitive Benefits of Cultural Experience: Exploring the Relationship between Studying Abroad and Creative Thinking. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 26(5), 768–778. https://doi.org/10.1002/acp.2857
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.