Why Facts Don’t Win Arguments, SETI 101, Self-Control Pitfalls
Learn why self-control isn’t always good for you; why you can’t win an argument using facts; and what SETI is looking for.
More from Dr. Steven Novella:
- The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe http://www.theskepticsguide.org/
- New England Skeptical Society http://www.theness.com/
- NeuroLogica blog http://theness.com/neurologicablog/
- Steven Novella faculty bio https://medicine.yale.edu/profile/steven_novella/
More from Seth Shostak:
- Seth Shostak’s Website http://sethshostak.com/
- Follow @SethShostak on Twitter https://twitter.com/SethShostak
- Big Picture Science: The radio show and podcast of the SETI Institute, with Seth Shostak http://bigpicturescience.org/
To learn more about motivated reasoning and how we think, read “The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion” by Jonathan Haidt: https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777
The stories in this episode originally aired July 8, 2018 “SETI on How We Search for Aliens (w/ Seth Shostak), Facts Don’t Win Arguments, Self-Control, and The Red Baron” https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/seti-on-how-we-search-for-aliens-w-seth-shostak-fa
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.