Why Is Static Worse in Winter?
Learn about why sensitive questions won’t make conversations as uncomfortable as you think; why static is worse in winter than in summer; and the “umami synergy” behind why bacon and eggs go together so well.
Sensitive questions won’t make conversations as uncomfortable as you think by Kelsey Donk
- The Case for Asking Sensitive Questions. (2020, November 24). Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2020/11/the-case-for-asking-sensitive-questions
- Hart, E., VanEpps, E. M., & Schweitzer, M. E. The (better than expected) consequences of asking sensitive questions. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 162, 136-154. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0749597820304003
Why is static worse in winter than summer? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Sandy)
- Static electricity strengthens desert dust storms. (2016, July 8). Static electricity strengthens desert dust storms. Science | AAAS. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/static-electricity-strengthens-desert-dust-storms
- Curtis, A. (2017). FAQ – health – static electricity | Las Vegas Advisor. lasvegasadvisor.com; Las Vegas Advisor. https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/faq-health-static-electricity/
- Hamer, A. (2019, August). Here’s Why Static Shock Is Worse in Winter. Discovery; Discovery. https://www.discovery.com/science/Heres-Why-Static-Shock-Is-Worse-Winter
- Castañon, K. (2016, January 25). These Hat Hair Solutions Will Change Your Winter. Shape; Shape. https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/beauty-style/these-hat-hair-solutions-will-change-your-winter
Why do bacon & eggs just go together? Meet umami synergy by Cameron Duke
- Jake. (2015, March). Ramen Chemistry. Ramen Chemistry. http://www.ramenchemistry.com/blog/2015/2/18/umami-science-part-iii-umami-synergy
- Mouritsen, O. G., Klavs Styrbaek, Johansen, M., & Jonas Drotner Mouritsen. (2014). Umami : unlocking the secrets of the fifth taste. Columbia University Press.
- Schmidt, C. V., Olsen, K., & Mouritsen, O. G. (2020). Umami synergy as the scientific principle behind taste-pairing champagne and oysters. Scientific Reports, 10(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-77107-w
- The timeless, complimentary taste of oysters and champagne—explained. (2020, November 18). Science.Ku.Dk; University of Copenhagen. https://www.science.ku.dk/english/press/news/2020/the-timeless-complimentary-taste-of-oysters-and-champagneexplained/
- Zareian, M., Ebrahimpour, A., Bakar, F. A., Mohamed, A. K. S., Forghani, B., Ab-Kadir, M. S. B., & Saari, N. (2012). A Glutamic Acid-Producing Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Malaysian Fermented Foods. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 13(5), 5482–5497. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms13055482
- Put The Science Of Umami To Work For You. (2015). Popular Science. https://www.popsci.com/hidden-secrets-umami/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.