Why Stress Sweat Smells Worse, Studying Wildlife During the Pandemic, and Do Men Just Not See Messes?
Learn about how scientists and animals are benefitting from the “anthropause” during the coronavirus pandemic; why sweat from stress smells worse than regular sweat; and whether men really “see less mess” than women.
We’re in the “anthropause,” a unique opportunity to study wildlife by Steffie Drucker
- McGreevy, N. (2020, July). Scientists Propose a New Name for Nature in the Time of COVID-19: The “Anthropause.” Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-have-name-nature-time-covid-19-anthropause-180975224/
- Simon, M. (2020, June 29). The Anthropause: How the Pandemic Gives Scientists a New Way to Study Wildlife. Wired; WIRED. https://www.wired.com/story/the-anthropause-a-new-way-to-study-wildlife/
- Rutz, C., Loretto, M.-C., Bates, A. E., Davidson, S. C., Duarte, C. M., Jetz, W., Johnson, M., Kato, A., Kays, R., Mueller, T., Primack, R. B., Ropert-Coudert, Y., Tucker, M. A., Wikelski, M., & Cagnacci, F. (2020). COVID-19 lockdown allows researchers to quantify the effects of human activity on wildlife. Nature Ecology & Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-1237-z
- Goldfarb, B. (2020, July 6). There Really Was Less Roadkill This Spring. The Atlantic; The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/07/pandemic-roadkill/613852/
Why stress sweat smells worse than regular sweat by Andrea Michelson
- Santos-Longhurst, A. (2019, February 26). Stress Sweat Is Real, Here’s How to Manage It. Healthline; Healthline Media. https://www.healthline.com/health/stress-sweat
- Hrustic, A. (2017, April 4). Why Your Sweat Smells So Bad When You’re Stressed. Men’s Health; Men’s Health. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19544884/why-stress-sweat-smells-so-bad/
- Hu, Y., Converse, C., Lyons, M. C., & Hsu, W. H. (2018). Neural control of sweat secretion: a review. British Journal of Dermatology, 178(6), 1246–1256. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.15808
- Fox-Skelly, J. (2015). The smelliest animals in the world. BBC.com. http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150610-why-its-good-to-smell-bad
Some Say Men Just Don’t See Mess, So Researchers Put It to the Test by author
- Ruppanner, L., Sabino Kornrich, & Thebaud, S. (2019, July 2). Men do see the mess – they just aren’t judged for it the way women are. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/men-do-see-the-mess-they-just-arent-judged-for-it-the-way-women-are-118728
- Thébaud, S., Kornrich, S., & Ruppanner, L. (2019). Good Housekeeping, Great Expectations: Gender and Housework Norms. Sociological Methods & Research, 004912411985239. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124119852395
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY