SETI on How We Search for Aliens (w/ Seth Shostak), Facts Don’t Win Arguments, Self-Control, and The Red Baron
- Self-Control Isn’t Always Good for You
- The Red Baron Was a Real Person Who Absolutely Tore It Up in Battle
- Motivated Reasoning Is Why You Can’t Win an Argument Using Facts
- Inside Pseudoscience And Conspiracy Theories [Podcast]
Plus, hear how and why we search for aliens using current methods, straight from special guest Seth Shostak. Seth Shostak is the Senior Astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, and the Director of the Institute’s Center for SETI Research. More from Seth Shostak:
- Seth Shostak’s Website
- Seth Shostak on Twitter @SethShostak
- Big Picture Science: The radio show and podcast of the SETI Institute, with Seth Shostak
To learn more about motivated reasoning and how we think, read “The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion” by Jonathan Haidt. It’s one of Cody’s favorite books and it’s free with your Audible trial. Plus, if you make a purchase using this link, then Curiosity gets a share of the sale!
Want to support our show? Register for the 2018 Podcast Awards and nominate Curiosity Daily to win for People’s Choice, Education, and Science & Medicine. Just register at the link and select Curiosity Daily from the drop-down menus (no need to pick nominees in every category): https://curiosity.im/podcast-awards-2018
Learn more about these topics and more on Curiosity.com, and download our 5-star app for Android and iOS. Then, join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Plus: Amazon smart speaker users, enable our Alexa Flash Briefing to learn something new in just a few minutes every day!