Yeah, About That Phosphine on Venus…
Learn about the surprising memory skills of infants; why that whole “phosphine on Venus” discovery may not be as exciting as we thought; and how medical science answered Molyneux’s problem, a 300-year-old philosophy question.
3-year-olds can recognize a person they met once when they were 1 year old by Kelsey Donk
- The amazing durability of infant memory: Three-year-olds show recognition of a person they met once at age one. (2014, March 17). Research Digest; Research Digest. https://digest.bps.org.uk/2014/03/17/the-amazing-durability-of-infant-memory-three-year-olds-show-recognition-of-a-person-they-met-once-at-age-one/
- Kingo, O. S., Staugaard, S. R., & Krøjgaard, P. (2014). Three-year-olds’ memory for a person met only once at the age of 12months: Very long-term memory revealed by a late-manifesting novelty preference. Consciousness and Cognition, 24, 49–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2013.12.011
That whole “phosphine on Venus” discovery, suggesting life? That probably wasn’t phosphine after all by Cameron Duke
- Lincowski, A. P., Meadows, V. S., Crisp, D., Akins, A. B., Schwieterman, E. W., Arney, Giada N, Wong, M. L., Steffes, P. G., Niki, P. M., & Domagal-Goldman, S. (2021). Claimed detection of PH$_3$ in the clouds of Venus is consistent with mesospheric SO$_2$. ArXiv.org. https://arxiv.org/abs/2101.09837
Medical Science Has Answered This 300-Year-Old Philosophy Question by Reuben Westmaas
- Study of Vision Tackles a Philosophy Riddle (Published 2011). (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/health/research/26blind.html
- Degenaar, M., & Lokhorst, G.-J. (2017). Molyneux’s Problem (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy). Stanford.edu. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/molyneux-problem/
- Held, R., Ostrovsky, Y., de Gelder, B., Gandhi, T., Ganesh, S., Mathur, U., & Sinha, P. (2011). The newly sighted fail to match seen with felt. Nature Neuroscience, 14(5), 551–553. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.2795
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.